Saturday, January 28, 2012

Shadow of the Past: Blood Ghost


“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, tonight will be the most amazing night of your young lives, after all the amazing creatures you have seen, this is our prized possession, I give you, Wolf Girl!” the ringmaster boomed.

Another day of my retched life.

My name is Mehala Wolf; I’m a mix of wolf and human DNA. I was stolen away by a Freak Show, and I live in a cage with other mutants.

I don’t know how this happened, I was born like this. My theory is that before I was born, something happened.

Now, all I did all day was serve the ringmaster and sleep and eat in my cage.

I was not the only one with the same story.

There was another girl; her name is Katelyn, known in the circus as Leopard Girl. She’s my only friend, mostly because everyone else can’t control their animal genes and bit at anyone that came close.

Katelyn’s skin is spotted like a leopard; she has long fangs made for holding onto food. Her fingernails are claws, and she has a tree in her cage to climb and sleep in, her long tail helps with that.

My parents gave me up when they saw me, thinking I would kill them once I grew older, but that would never happen, the wolf gene in me is harmless.

What scared them was the wolf that showed in my everyday appearance, my eyes, gold, my canines were long enough to touch the gums in my bottom lip, my limbs were long and full of muscles, and my hair was black, while my parents were blond.

Things that I could do were also scary, I can bite through  bone, I can see things the same in light as in dark, my field of vision is wider, my ears are super-acute, I can hear high frequency sounds, and I can track things faster with my eyes, I can hear things up to a mile away, and I can run faster than a grown man, I’m stronger, my nose had millions of smell receptors, and I saw fewer colors, a drawback in my department.

“She is very temperamental (lie) and is wild (lie), so, would anyone like to volunteer?”

Several hands went up.

“You, young man in row 6 seat 3!”

A young man, probably in his late 30’s, walked down the aisle and into the ring.

“You will see firsthand how this girl acts, she is 16, so she will be easily distracted, DON’T get cocky. Even I don’t know how she will act.”

With my wrists tied together, and my neck circled by an electric collar, leashed by two bodyguards, I was led onto the stage.

“Ahhh!”

The scream made me snap open my eyes and whip my head around and watch the audience.

People started gasping when they saw my eyes, so golden they stared you through.

The scream had come from a woman in the front row, staring at me in recognition and horror.

She was blond, hazel eyes, in her mid 30’s to early 40’s, slight graying, and she knew me.

I didn’t recognize her at all, so I closed my eyes and lowered my head again.

“You see, mam, will you step up and tell us why you screamed?” the ringmaster laughed. He loved it when people made a big reaction about his prizes.

Slowly, the woman approached the ringmaster and sat down in a chair he gestured at.

I didn’t open my eyes, but my hyper-acute senses told me that.

“Why did you scream after I told the audience to be quiet?” the ringmaster demanded.

 She was staring at me, another scream ready in her throat.

“I s-screamed because…..she’s my daughter,” the woman gasped.

No comments:

Post a Comment